Monday, March 20, 2017

Lace Hummingbirds and Some Great Advice from Deep Sea Creatures

I had the idea to make Lace Hummingbirds. Originally I thought I would use lace patterned doilies but found that to be too messy when trying to keep them within the tiny body size of a hummingbird. I had lace stencils though, so I used them and the photos below are of what turned out. The neat thing about painting animals and other creatures with eyes is that when the eyes are painted that is the moment that the animal seems to come to life. I am working on making little frames for each of these pieces and I'm touching up the hummingbirds themselves. I found an old children's book about hummingbirds and decided it would be perfect for collage work on the frames. It always feels hard to cut into an old book but I think they were meant to be enjoyed and that doesn't always mean sitting on a shelf. I am so excited that I was accepted into the Doylestown Hospital Artwalk.  It is a beautiful hallway art gallery.  When I first walked through it I felt like I was in a solarium filled with art and  I just had to communicate with the directors.  I submitted my 6 series piece about one woman's life and story (posted on a previous blog entry) but they only wanted 4 pieces and couldn't use the piece with the topless women! They liked the hummingbirds and, whenever someone likes my art, I am so grateful so I quickly said yes to submitting the birds.
  Today I listened to The Jealous Curator's interview with Jenny Brown.  It is so validating to hear Jenny and the show's host, Danielle Krysa, talk about sticking with the art you think is beautiful.  That doesn't mean not taking feedback and it is always good to continue to improve upon your style, though.   Jenny uses vintage papers and other ephemeral items to collage with her sea creatures (who are also very ephemeral).  People in the art world told her to change her style or used the word "crafty" which isn't necessarily a positive description in the art world, I suppose.  She realized that what one enjoys drawing and creating is what one is meant to do and over time the right stage for that artwork will appear. It has worked out for her and  I promise I'm not stalking Jenny!  There is just something about her art that makes me so happy. It is so other-worldly beautiful!



No comments:

Post a Comment